Tuesday, December 6, 2016

I can do hair.

 So before my MS was being treated  my left hand was practically useless for a few months.I couldn't lift my hand up over my head very well. Simple things like getting dressed, and buttoning my pants took much longer. With basic tasks becoming a lot harder it made it really hard for me to want to do anything extra,  washing and doing my hair was terrible, it felt like I was scrubbing straw because of the numbness in my hand. I would still  wash my hair but had no desire to do it afterwards. Even worse than that my three daughters wanted me to do their hair but I couldn't,  we even cut my youngest girls lovely curly locks off so it would be easier for me to handle. After a while I got sick of looking at myself in the mirror, and started brainstorming as to  a new hairstyle I could have that wouldn't take too much work. In the meantime  my doctors were able to get me on a good prescription  my medicine started kicking in and I've been able to get back all of my hand mobility. I have to constantly keep tabs on my left hands capabilities and I am often moving it in different ways just to make sure I still can. I found a cute short hairdo that is really probably more flattering than my previous hair do anyway, it's super easy to do so hopefully if my hands don't work well in the future I can still do my hair.  This Sunday marked a special day for me because all three of my girls head cute hairdos one had crimpy hair that her sister had helped her with the night before. One had the cutest little French  braid that I did yay!  And the oldest had beautiful curls that I was able to do. I wanted to take a picture but life got busy and I totally forgot.  But I'm writing it down here so at least I can member the great feeling I had of being able to do my girls hair again. It amazes me how much you can  take things for granted but once you are unable to do those things and then have those abilities restored what a blessing it is being able to do the simple things once again. I am so grateful for all that my body can now do.

3 comments:

  1. Wonderful blog. I've been coping with MS as well. It is great that you are brave enough to share your experiences so others of us don't feel so alone. I love the movie Warm Bodies, particularly the scene near the end when the recovering zombie is trying to open the umbrella and explains to the woman who helps him "zombie hands." I find that to be my constant refrain whenever I drop stuff, fumble things, etc. especially in public. I just say "zombie hands" and laugh. Of course there are those frequent days when the whole body feels zombie. I'm totally with you on the daughters wanting their hair done thing. Curl my hair mom. Sorry I can't. Mom, will you French braid my hair? Are you kidding me, not a chance. I'm lucky to get my hands and arms working enough to wash and comb my own hair. So good to know I'm not alone in this. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comments, I have not seen that movie, but now I will have to, zombie sounds like a good way to describe the lack of ability. I hope that with good medication you are able to have more good days than zombie days. I am so happy when ever I am able to do things again. Here's to good days.

      Delete
  2. Thanks, yes, hurray for the good days!

    ReplyDelete